Stage 2: The route continues the following day across the "Grosser Aletschfirn" field down to the "Konkordiaplatz". You may have to circumvent the glacier sump pond to the north or south. From the Konkordiaplatz, descend across the snowless "Grosser Aletschgletscher" (Great Aletsch Glacier), which is characterised by a system of fissures particularly around its edge and flows downwards in a southerly direction like a wide thoroughfare. The descent, which is normally straightforward, runs between the orographically left-hand lateral moraine and the medial moraine. At an altitude of around 2,340 m above sea level, you pass into the "Märjelental" (Märjelen Valley) between the Strahlhorn and the Eggishorn (either directly across the ice or in the rocks of the southwest slope of the Strahlhorn). Shortly afterward you will reach the upper lake, the dammed "Vordersee" Lake. The trail climbs and falls gently around the Tälligrat via the broad Märjelenalp. The hike along the slope is a pleasant one – with the procession of Valais peaks above the Rhone Valley becoming increasingly impressive. From Kühboden (the middle station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car), descend by cable car to Fiesch.
More information / Links
The 1:25,000 scale hiking map is your perfect companion for an unforgettable day's hiking in the Lötschental. Available from the Lötschental Tourist Information Office in Wiler or online at www.loetschental.ch/webshop
- High-level tour for sure-footed Alpine climbers.
- Full Alpine climbing equipment (crampons etc.) is needed for this tour.
- We recommend that a state-certified mountain guide accompanies you on this mountain tour
- Plan your tour carefully
- Ensure that you have a full set of appropriate equipment
- Never embark on a tour alone
- Inform friends, relatives, the mountain hut supervisor or the hotel porter of your proposed tour. Report back when you arrive at your destination.
- Keep a constant eye on weather developments
- Adhere to the principle: if in doubt, turn back!
The SAC Hollandia Hut:
- 3,235 metres above sea level
- Overnight accommodation for 80 people
- Starting point for the Äbeni Flue, Mittaghorn, Aletschhorn and many others
- Hut phone number: Tel. +41 (0)27 939 11 35
- Owned by SAC, Berne Division
The postbus runs every hour from Gampel/Steg or Goppenstein to Blatten ("Blatten, Post" postbus stop).
You can park your car in the car park next to the old post office in Blatten (not free).
Drive into the Lötschental from Goppenstein, past the villages of Ferden, Kippel and Wiler to Blatten as far as the old post office.
This tour is presented by: Lötschental Marketing AG, Author: Lötschental Marketing AG