Churches and chapels

Discover the contemplative side of the Lötschental

There are 54 chapels, churches and wayside shrines in the Lötschental that invite you to reflect.

It's no longer a secret that the Lötschental is an exceptionally beautiful hiking paradise. What few people know, however, is that the valley is also rich in a multitude of chapels, churches and wayside shrines. You can discover a total of 54 chapels, churches and wayside shrines in the Lötschental.

Take in the extraordinarily beautiful natural landscape in the Lötschental, experience the contemplative places along the paths that have been walked by people for centuries and, above all, rediscover yourself.

Hike from Blatten, the rearmost village in the Lötschental, along the wild valley river "Lonza" to the famous pilgrimage site of Kühmatt. On the way, follow the reflection boards that are set up along the path to Kühmatt. The individual texts and sayings are adapted to the respective location and are intended to encourage the reader to reflect:

1st station: Go with all your heart!

2nd station: Let the angel of God guide you!

3rd station: The river of life.

4th station: Heaven is within you.

5th station: Be rooted.

6th station: Every single gesture of love counts.

7th station: Shadow and light.

8th station: Take your time!

9th station: Take care of creation!

10th station: Stones of offense.

To round off the path of reflection, you can then visit the baroque Chapel of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary - it is the destination of regional pilgrimages and is considered one of the most impressive places of grace in the valley. The current chapel was built under Prior Bartholomäus Indergassen between 1646 and 1663. Take some time to linger quietly in this place of faith and reflect in the depths of your own heart.

This circular walk starts at the parish church in Wiler. A chapel was built on this site in 1950, which was consecrated as a parish church seven years later. The patron saint of the church is the Queen of Peace (Regina Pacis). She was painted as an altarpiece by the artist Richard Seewald. The consecration of the church takes place every year on the 3rd Sunday in August.

From the parish church, walk in an easterly direction through the older part of the village to Milibach. At the crossroads, turn right down to Talstrasse in the direction of Blatten to the Milibach wayside shrine.

The Milibach wayside shrine was erected in memory of a young man who lost his life in a car accident. The little chapel, which was blessed in 1987, is adorned with a simple carved wooden cross. During the devastating storms in October 2011, the wayside shrine was buried but fortunately not destroyed.

Cross the Talstrasse and walk to the Gsteinät leisure facility, then continue to Tännerstäg, turn left and walk up to the Talstrasse. This is where the Tenn Way of the Cross begins. The Way of the Cross was created in 2003 by retired people from Wiler and shows Jesus' Way of the Cross in a total of 14 small chapels. Times of devotion, reflection and silence, but also prayer, are part of this section.

On the mountain road to Lauchernalp you come to the wayside shrine "Maria am Weg". The little chapel was built in 1974 by the men's association and is intended to be a signpost for everyone. It is dedicated to the Queen of the Rosary. You return comfortably along the mountain road to the church in Wiler, where the tour ends.

The Lötschental High Trail from Fafler- to Faldumalp is one of the classics of the Lötschental hiking region. What very few people know, however, is that there are numerous chapels along this trail.

We start our hike on the Fafleralp. Near the Hotel Fafleralp, we find the Fafleralp chapel hidden in the forest. It was built in 1959. In the chapel behind the altar, the view falls on a narrow, wrought-iron cross. The cross is unusual and encourages many visitors to reflect. The patron saint of the chapel is St. Bernard. He is the patron saint of the inhabitants of the Alps, mountaineers and skiers.

We follow the high trail towards Weritzalp to the Weritzalp Chapel. At first there was a wayside shrine here in honor of St. Anthony of Padua. A simple wooden chapel was subsequently built around it. The altar table made of a stone slab gives the chapel a special aura. St. Anthony is the patron saint of the poor, married couples, lovers, travelers and swineherds. He is invoked for cattle diseases, lost property, good childbirth and a good harvest.

Next we reach the chapel on the Lauchernalp. It was built in 2002 and is dedicated to St. Brother Klaus von Flüe. The youngest chapel in the Lötschental is striking for its modern and unconventional architecture.

The next chapel on the high-altitude trail is on the Hockenalp. The chapel was built in 1959. The patron saint is St. Anne, mother of Mary. The depiction of St. Anne, the Mother of God Mary and the baby Jesus is called "Anna selbdritt". She is the patron saint of mothers, widows and workers. She is invoked for the blessing of children, fevers, headaches and stomach aches.

If we follow the mountain path, we come to the Kummenalp. The chapel on the Kummenalp was built by Otto Werlen in 1951. The patron saint is Mary - Queen of Angels and Saints. On the altar wall we see a depiction of the Assumption of Mary. Our last stop on the Lötschental High Trail is the Maria zum Schnee chapel on the Faldumalp. The chapel was built in 1923 according to the plans of chaplain Supersaxo. The altarpiece depicts the Entombment of Jesus. This hike is also recommended in the opposite direction, or from the Lauchernalp in both directions.

The hike begins in the village of Ferden at the Barbara Chapel and leads to the parish church in Blatten. The chapel of St. Barbara was built in 1675. It dates from the same period as the adjacent houses on the old village square in Ferden. In 1931, the chapel was given a tabernacle, which meant that mass had to be celebrated once a week. The chapel lost its function when the parish church was built. The Barbara Chapel was renovated in 1976 and is now used as a funeral chapel.

We follow the old valley path and walk in the direction of Kippel. At Treibgasse, we turn left and follow the signpost for Tärruweg. We reach Hockenstrasse and follow it. Shortly after Zubenbach we see the wayside shrine of St. Brother Klaus. This wayside shrine was erected on the occasion of the canonization of St. Brother Klaus in 1947. The cross erected by the youth association is impressive. It is 13.5 m high and is illuminated at night.

We continue along Hockenstrasse until the next bend. Here we follow the forest path and the signposts on Mittelberg towards Wiler. Above the village, we come across the "Undrä Baann" wayside shrine, which is dedicated to the heart of Jesus. He spreads his arms protectively over the village. We follow the slightly ascending path to the turn-off to the Milibach. On the flat section, we reach the road that leads to Lauchernalp. We follow the Lauchernalp road down to the right as far as Loibegga at Bildstöckli Maria am Weg.

At the bend, the signpost leads us in the direction of Tärra, Weissenried, Blatten. An easy descent brings us back to the hiking trail to Tärru. Following the signposts, we cross the Tännerstäg, pass the Tärra settlement and reach the hamlet of Weissenried. The chapel of St. George is located here. It was first mentioned as a place of worship in 1687. The current chapel was built in 1787. The last renovation was carried out in 1993. On entering the chapel, our gaze falls on the altarpiece of the dragon slayer St. George. He is surrounded by the statues of the apostles Peter and Paul.

The hike continues in the direction of Blatten. Halfway between Weissenried and Blatten, on the left-hand side of the path is the Bildstöckli im Brand. This wooden wayside shrine is dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua. The path continues to Blatten. We cross the Gisentella and immediately afterwards turn right onto the path of contemplation. We walk to the eastern edge of the village. At the first houses, opposite the old mill, there is a wayside cross on the right and next to it the Zr Sagu wayside shrine with the crucified Savior. The path continues straight ahead to the old village center and then left down to the village square and the church.

We begin the tour with a visit to the parish church in Kippel. According to reliable sources, the first chapel stood on its current site, the so-called "Martibiel", when the parish was founded in 1233. The present church was built in 1740-1742 in the Baroque style and consecrated to St. Martin by Bishop Blatter in 1742. Due to his vita, St. Martin is the patron saint of travelers, the poor, beggars and horsemen, and in a broader sense also of refugees, prisoners, abstainers and soldiers.

The church was last renovated in 1977/1978 and is consecrated on the 3rd Sunday in July or the Sunday before St. John.

Down the stairs we reach the large square in the old part of the village. Most of the houses were built in the 16th - 17th century. We walk down to the Lonza, cross the bridge and follow the signposts towards Gattunalp. Through the larch forest we reach the wayside shrine of St. Hubertus. The wayside shrine lies in the middle of the forest and offers a view of Kippel. The wayside shrine contains a statue of St. Hubert with a stag carrying a cross between his antlers. St. Hubert is the patron saint of hunters, metal workers, wood turners, butchers, opticians and mathematicians. He is invoked against rabies in dogs, dog and snake bites and water phobia.

The trail continues to the highest point of the hike, the Gattunalp. There is a cross made of tree trunks at the Schaffärichu (sheep gathering place). From here we return to the hiking trail and cross the Chastlerra stream. We follow the signpost through the Chstlerwald forest to Bifig.

From there we walk to the wayside shrine on the Chastlereggu. It is dedicated to Our Lady. The white wayside shrine is adorned with a large painting of the Holy Mother of God with the baby Jesus

The path then leads us back to the church. Here you will also find the ossuary, where the bones of the buried were once stored. The chapel dates back to 1556 and inside there is a depiction of Our Lady of Sorrows (Pietà). The valuable ceiling with its various inscriptions deserves special attention. All these inscriptions remind us to live our lives sensibly, purposefully and responsibly. The inscription with the clock tells us: "When the clock has run out, then it means with you in the house of the dead".

The tour begins at the Holy Trinity Church in Ferden, which was consecrated in 1960. The simple interior radiates a special atmosphere thanks to the play of colors in the church windows. The church in Ferden is consecrated on the 2nd Sunday in September.

From the Dreifaltigkeitskirche church, our path leads over the Leischa up to the beautiful village square, with St. Barbara's Chapel, the stately houses and the Bietschhorn in the background. The chapel of St. Barbara dates back to the 17th century. The date 1675 can be seen on the ridge beams and it dates from the same period as the adjoining houses on the old village square in Ferden. In 1931, the chapel was given a tabernacle, which meant that mass had to be celebrated once a week. The chapel lost its function when the parish church was built. In 1967, the Barbara Chapel was renovated by the men's association and is now used as a funeral chapel. St. Barbara is the patron saint of geologists, the dying, helpers against the dangers of lightning and fire, artillery, miners, prisoners, bell ringers and architects. The feast of St. Barbara is celebrated on December 4.

We walk up the village road to the signpost for the old Lötschpass trail. We follow this to the Waldchaplla with a statue of Our Lady of Lourdes. A deep devotion to Our Lady of Lourdes can be seen throughout the Lötschental. The path branches off here at the Waldchappla.

We follow the forest path on the right to the Hublchaplla. The Hublchaplla is dedicated to St. Francis, the famous Francis of Assisi. He is the patron saint of the poor, the lame, the blind, prisoners, shipwrecked people and environmentalists, but also of weavers, cloth merchants, tailors, merchants and social workers, etc. He is invoked against headaches and headaches. He is invoked against headaches and plague.

After 10 minutes we reach the road. On this we return to Räfdaried and pass the hermitage, which was built in 1933. In 1952, the hermitage was bought by the Benedictine monks of Sarnen. During the winter months, the Mother of God from the hermitage is displayed in the church in Ferden. During the Benedictine vacation period, she returns to the chapel for masses.

From the hermitage, we walk further down the road to the Färdariäd wayside shrine, which is dedicated to St. Barbara. The tour ends back at the Holy Trinity Church.